In 1919, a local sorority by the name of Alpha Gamma was founded on the campus of Henry Kendall College, now The University of Tulsa. Four women named Mildred Elliot, Mable Hall, Margaret Mosley, and Leona Grisby were the founders of Alpha Gamma. One by one they chose their sisters, measuring them to fit their moral standards, tribal rites and laws. They knew that one day they may hope to join a larger sorority.
On May 9, 1931, Alpha Gamma joined the larger sorority that they had been looking for and became the Theta Upsilon Chapter of Delta Delta Delta. These Tri Deltas became members of the second national women’s fraternity on The University of Tulsa’s campus. The petition to become part of Delta Delta Delta was fittingly written in the Indian vernacular (The University of Tulsa was originally a Native American school). The girls’ spirit shows in the dedication of the document.
Tri Delta’s national President and the national Treasurer attended Theta Upsilon’s installation. Installed were 34 alumni and 17 active members. Native American bracelets were given to the installing officers. The first president of this Tri Delta Chapter was Helen Swayze.
In 1938, the lodge was designed and built by an alumnae and her husband on a $5,000 budget. The lodge consisted of a living room with an adjacent kitchen, hostess room and a library. During the 1964-65 school year, the lodge was completely remodeled and the housemother’s apartment was enlarged. In the spring of 1968, the construction of our new living quarters had begun to provide additional space for housing 32 members.